Monday, August 1, 2011

'Ard Boyz and the Return of the Wolfstar

The Wolfstar wishes they were badass enough to kill the Emperor
Well, 'Ard Boyz is upon us.  I've honestly given it very little thought with the impending Nova Open coming up and my fixation on trying to figure out Dark Eldar.

That being said, I don't really have any
armies that I feel comfortable taking up to 2500 in a contest for a free army in the Semis (the only real reason to play 'Ard Boyz, in my opinion).  Well, I should have said this:  I don't feel comfortable playing any of my armies at 2500 other than the Wolves, who have done well for me in the past. 

If I'm not careful, I'll get pwned by Ewoks, apparently.

This isn't to say that the list is flawless.  Far from it.  The WolfStar might be somewhat of a relic now, but hopefully it will be enough. I don't really have the models to play Dark Eldar or the Blood Angels list I like.  Salamanders and Chaos are kind of my 'for fun' armies, and besides, I'm kind of selling the Chaos right now anyways.

So that leaves the trusty WolfStar...

...it's a trap!


Here's my list, at 2500:

Rune Priest w/ Jaws, Murderous Hurricane (or Tempest's Fury... not sure yet)
Wolf Lord w/ Thunderwolf Mount, Thunderhammer, Storm Shield, Runic Armor, Wolf Tail Talisman, Wolftooth Necklace, Saga of the Bear
Wolf Lord w/ Thunderwolf Mount, Wolf Claw, Storm Shield, Runic Armor, Wolftooth Necklace, Saga of Majesty

5x Wolf Guard w/ 5x Power Fists, 5x Combi-Meltas

9x Grey Hunters w/ Meltagun, Wolf Standard, Rhino (Wolf Guard goes here)
9x Grey Hunters w/ Meltagun, Wolf Standard, Rhino (Wolf Guard goes here)
9x Grey Hunters w/ Meltagun, Wolf Standard, Rhino (Wolf Guard goes here)
9x Grey Hunters w/ Meltagun, Wolf Standard, Rhino (Wolf Guard goes here)
8x Grey Hunters w/ Meltagun, Wolf Standard, Rhino (Wolf Guard and Rune Priest go here)

4x Thunderwolf Cavalry w/ Thunder Hammer, 1x Melta Bomb, 2x Storm Shields (fully complex unit- one model has the Hammer + Shield, one w/ Shield, one w/ Bomb, one sad with no upgrades)


6x Longfangs w/ 5x Missile Launchers
6x Longfangs w/ 5x Missile Launchers
6x Longfangs w/ 5x Missile Launchers


Total:  2455

Heh, so... 45 points to play around with.  50 if I want to take out the Melta Bomb on the TWC.  Not quite sure what to take extra- the idea of two fists floating around in a couple of the GH squads occurred to me.  I could take a couple Grey Hunters out and take another Rune Priest.


... not much else, really.

...well, not much else other than the obvious Ewok Karaoke madness that's going on here


If you don't know how this list works, just look in the "Wolfstar" tab on the top of the page for various posts about them, or look at the Battle Reports Log link on the top right for my (multiple) battle reports (with pictures!) using the Wolfstar.  I've had quite the ride with them thus far.

Can I win a few more times?  Six times in a row, to be exact.  At a level of points that I've never played with the pups? 

Is 50ish Grey Hunters actually good?  Or will they just kind of get in the way? 

Will 10 Meltas (5 of them combi) be enough, even with all the S10 on the WolfStar?

15 Missile Launchers is a lot at 1750.  It's still a lot at 2000.  Is it still enough at 2500?

The answer to all these questions is probably no, it's not really enough, I probably can't win 6 games in a row against really tough lists.  I'll probably lose all 3 of my first games, and be sad for pulling them out of retirement.

He looks as sad as I'll be when/if I lose all 3 games in the Prelims.  Age has pwned Anakin as much as Luke or the Emperor's lightning ever did.  Seriously... isn't he only supposed to be in his 40's?

As a weird sidenote, I'll be playing the Prelims somewhere in the Washington/Oregon (Portland) vicinity, as I'll be visiting family in those parts.  Hopefully the guys up there aren't ready for the WolfStar- pretty sure the guys in Colorado have come to expect it by now, and are prepared...

...or at least, they think they are.  Guess we'll see if I can qualify for the Semis :-p

I'll likely be taking the same list both tournaments.  My list doesn't do a whole lot of awesome with the current mission sets, but I made the list before the missions were out, and I don't care to change it up much.  Kind of a lazy, eh?

Jabba wasn't really lazy.  I'm sure it looks like he was in the movies, but he's actually quite active for a Hutt.


My sense of apathy for 40k has never been higher, which seems dumb, seeing as I have lots of exciting events coming up and a fun new army in the Dark Eldar.

May as well inform you as to the upcoming events schedule while we're all here:
So... heh.  Lots of GT's coming up, which I'll be participating in.  Hopefully I can get batreps up for most of them.  Likely I'll play the Dark Eldar for the majority, besides the 'Ard Boyz events.  Maybe I'll actually even get good with them by then :-p

Alright, enough rambling, I've had enough of this blogging thing for the night.  I'm going to go play some Suikoden II for an hour and then go to bed.



By the time you read this thing of course, I'll have already played the game, slept, and sat through an hour of class, since I'm scheduling it for the morning.

Thoughts? Comments?  Trolls?  More Ewoks?

Meh.

Jabba the Pimp.

No comments: