Thursday, August 18, 2011

Email in: Pain Token Shenanigans



The Email:

I'm a new DE player just getting back into the hobby and the list you tend to run looks a lot like the list I'd like to run.  Anyway, I was wondering, can you walk me through how you get your Hellion squad to start with two pain tokens?  I know it has something to do with Wracks and Haemonculus, but what is the actual step by step?

Thanks a ton!

My Reply:

Heh, I've been meaning to make a post like this, just so I can link to it in Battle Reports and stuff, so that I don't have to explain it a million times in a row.  So let's get this over with :)

Oh yeah, I should add that this isn't at all an argument for or against taking Hellions, using the Pain Tokens, etc.  It's simply explaining the method I use to get my unit 2 pain tokens.  Viability is an entirely different subject, which I'll be sure to cover later on.  Until then, feel free to read my batreps on the matter- I have a bunch in the Battle Report Log link on the top right of this site.
The contents of the list:

Well, I won't give you the whole list, just the essential parts that this question is asking.  Feel free to search the site for my Dark Eldar lists/thoughts/tacticas- I have a lot of easy-to-find content on them, and will be producing more over time.  Dark Eldar tab up top is probably a good way to start :)

The relevant elements of the army in question:

Baron Sathonyx
Haemonculus

19x Hellions w/ Helliarch
3x Wracks w/ Venom w/ 2x Splinter Cannons

The goal:

-To get the Hellions equipped with 2 pain tokens near the start of the game. 

How it happens:

-The Haemonculus starts with the Hellions.  The Haemonculus begins the game with a single Pain Token.
-The Baron starts with the Wracks.  The Wracks begin the game with a single Pain Token.

When it's my turn:

-The Haemonculus leaves the Hellions, leaving the Pain Token with the Hellions.
-The Baron leaves the Wracks, taking their Pain Token.

At this point, the Hellions have a single Pain Token, and the Baron also has a single Pain Token.

The Baron joins the Hellions.  Since they each have a Pain Token, the squad itself now has 2 Pain Tokens, and benefits from Feel No Pain, Furious Charge, along with all the other cool stuff that the Baron gives them (i.e. Stealth, etc).

Notes:

Keep in mind that the Baron doesn't really even have to move in order to 'leave' the Wracks/join the Hellions.  He just needs to be in coherency range of both the Wracks and the Hellions.  Whereas this can sometimes lead to congestion and awkward positioning, I haven't found it to be an issue.

For Dawn of War, just start the Hellions alone, and have the Haemonculus walk up and join them (since if he starts the game with them, the unit is restricted to 6" movement.  If he walks up and joins them, they can still move on the board 12", as long as someone is within 2" of the Haemonculus.  They can then run into cover a little later.

Do the same with the Wracks/Baron.

Of course, you can do all kinds of other interesting stuff, like start the Haemonculus and the Hellions on the table, and then jump the Baron onto the table to join the Wracks, and gain a little bit of extra range for the squad itself.

It's fun.

Any questions?

No comments: