Monday, August 15, 2011

Pre-Heresy Iron Warriors Fellblade (Part 2)



Hi folks!

In my last post I detailed the process for getting my Fellblade (Stormlord) ready for detailing. Well, this week I present to you the almost, almost (almost) finished product! Front view below:



Now let's go into more detail as to how I accomplished certain items on the model.

Searchlights - Start off with a basecoat of 50/50 Iyanden Darksun and Sunburst Yellow on the lens of the lights. Then fan this out in a cone shape in front of the lights to give the glow effect. Repeat this with a mix of Sunburst Yellow, then finally a coat of Skull White (VERY faint). Make sure on each iteration to put the colors closer towards the center of the lights, so we leave a little bit of the previous coat on the edges. This will provide some nice depth and shadow. Finally, give the searchlights themselves a light wash of Gryphonne Sepia.

Rust - Unfortunately due to the bad photo taking skills that I have, the blue rust tinge has shown up a little too faint. In person however, it shows up a little more noticeable. To start this process off, begin touching areas that you want to rust with a 50/50 Chaos Black/Scorched Brown mix. Next, lightly apply Scorched Brown over the area, just make sure to leave some of the previous coat around the edges. Then, prepare a mix of 50/50 Scorched Brown/ Macharius Solar Orange. Apply this again in the center area of the rust. Finally, apply VERY lightly a tinge of watered down Macharius Solar Orange. Once this is completed we can move on to the blue patina effect.

This is achieved by a light application of Hawk Turquoise around the edges of the rust blobs. Then get some Ice Blue in the center of the Hawk Turquoise. If you are doing the rust effects over plating or raised areas, you can go back and highlight those edges with Ice Blue.

Chaos Star - Not shown in the initial image is the Chaos Star I put on the rear of the vehicle. See below:



This was applied with a stencil that I cut out from a simple Chaos Star shape that I found online. I taped this down (No easy feat, trust me) and once the stencil was on, it looked like this:


After nervously loading my paintbrush with a 60/40 Chaos Black/ Astronomican Grey, I began to fill it in. Thankfully it turned out pretty darn well! I drybrushed a coat of Chainmail over the area to make it a little chipped and worn.

So now that we've covered some of the more crucial detailing aspects of this model, you may be asking "Well, what's next?". At the end of this month I'll be placing a Forgeworld order, and in this order will be a shiny dozer blade that I'm going to fit to the front on this behemoth. I plan on some barbed wire, mud and some bullet holes for good measure. I'm hoping that it will give a nice, custom, finished feel to the model.

I'll also be replacing the side flamers with some actual spare Redeemer cannons that BigSanta has kindly offered to give me.

Also in the order will be some shiny Mk3 marines...let's just say that I can't wait!

Thanks for hanging out, feel free to add any comments below. If you have any suggestions as to how I can go about improving the model, or have any questions as to how I did certain things, shoot away!

Thanks!
-Ulven.

No comments: