Cool, this is an email I got, asking for help on a Blood Angels list.  Email first, then what I have to say about it afterward.
 
Greetings,
 
You replied on your “Rediscovering Angels” Article that you wouldn’t mind helping me with some lists.  Here is what I have.  Note, I’m trying to avoid vehicles as:  1) I like the idea of having many BA Models on the board and 2) My Clan is new and most don’t know how to deal with vehicles very well and I’m tired of steam-rolling them.  The list is supposed to be 1k but I’m at 890 right now and can’t decide on what to do.  I was thinking of possibly upgrading a few models and taking a scout squad with sniper rifles to hold an objective.
 
Type Unit Cost
HQ Librarian 100
  (+) Unleash Rage Free
  (+) Fear of the Darkness Free
  (+) Jump Pack 25
Troop Assault Squad 100
  (+) Additional Models (5) 90
  (+) Power Fist 25
  (+) Meltagun 10
Troop Assault Squad 100
  (+) Power Fist 25
Troop Assault Squad 100
  (+) Power Fist 25
Heavy Support Devastator Squad 90
  (+) Missile Launcher 10
  (+) Missile Launcher 10
Elite Sanguinary Priest 50
  (+) Power Sword 15
  (+) Jump Pack 25
Elite Sanguinary Priest 50
  (+) Power Sword 15
  (+) Jump Pack 25
  Total 890
 
The goal of this army is to divide into 3 groups.  First the devastator squad in some good cover and to add some long range support to the cover (thinking of adding another Missile Launcher and Plasma Cannon).  Group Two is the large Assault Squad with IC Librarian / Sanguinary Priest.  Group Three is the other two Assault Squads with a Sanguinary Priest attached to one but keeping the bubble close enough to affect both.
 
Not to keep adding but I’ve one general question.  Any suggestions for a “leader” of a clan to help improve others skills, I just completely destroy any of my friends and other than saying “here is how you beat me” I want to improve their actual skills.
 
My Reply: 

Thanks for the email :)

The list looks fairly standard for a 1000 point non-vehicle Blood Angels list.  There's for sure a few things that can be done to optimize it, however.

The full assault squad + Librarian + Priest is a good combo, and I'm certainly a fan of the two powers you've chosen for the Libby.  I wouldn't change too much, unless it was to add an infernus pistol to your sergeant.  I'm assuming you have the 'free' melta gun on the squad as well?  If not, I suggest you take it- redundancy in special weapons is too often looked at as overkill, but if it doubles the chances of popping a Land Raider (which you really only have a 16% chance to kill with a single close-range melta gun), which is nice.  The Priest's power weapon also isn't going to do a whole lot.  Read this.

The two 5-man assault squads seem interesting to me- the power fist isn't a terrible choice, since he'll be somewhat survivable with FNP.  Having a extra scoring ability that has an extra fist in there isn't a bad idea, for 1000 points.  In bigger games, I'd advise making them into a single bigger squad and combat squadding if you want, but for 1000 points it's actually preferable, I think.  
 
I do wonder however, why they don't have melta guns.  As it is, they're relying on the charge to kill vehicles (and monstrous creatures).  Whereas this isn't a terrible way to kill vehicles, it also ensures that whatever was in the vehicles is going to have a turn trying to kill you back, before you get to go again.  A couple meltas help the situation tremendously.
 
The devastator squad is interesting- I'd advise putting the full weapons loadout on them.  You're already paying the points for marines, the weapons upgrades are relatively inexpensive, and make the squad as a whole much more points-efficient.
As it is, I'd suggest only taking a single type of weapon on devastators- plasma cannons really aren't the way to go with devs, and mixing weapons in the squad helps them pull wound allocation shenanigans to your detriment.

However, I'd honestly get rid of the devs.  They can't really keep up with the army and seem like they don't really have great synergy with the rest of your force.  Instead, get something that can do that.  Since you don't want tanks, take Attack Bikes.  Since you have some extra points, upgrade the stuff I've been talking about, take out the Devs, and take a few MM Attack Bikes.  They'll benefit from FNP, can charge weaker squads on their own, hurt AV14, and are overall far more versatile than the Devs.  If your heart is set on Devs, take 4 missile launchers.  Still a pretty solid loadout, for a reasonable price tag.
 
Not much else to say- good core, just needs some tweaking here and there.  As for your friends just getting rolled by you, and you wanting them to get better- that's a somewhat tougher question.  I'll do my best to answer it though.

I think the question is- do they want to get better?  If so, what is the level of their dedication to getting better?  There's a lot of things they can do, such as reading the 'competitive' blogs out there, and getting advice.  One thing that you could do, is play a few games with them, and treat it as an open forum setting- when someone does something good or bad, stop and talk about why it was good or bad.  What could be done better?  What is the real reason that manouver was so effective?  etc. 

I'm sorry to say it, but if they aren't using vehicles, they're missing out on a pretty huge aspect of the game.  A fast assault army like yours would roll most footslogging armies out there, especially at 1000 points.  I'd advise them to start taking some vehicles- especially transports.  The added protection and speed a vehicle can give a squad is generally worth the points.  It also makes it harder for assault dudes like yours to come in and stomp them without the risk of failing to destroy the vehicle first, etc.

I could go on about the strengths of vehicles, but I feel that I've said enough.  Suffice it to say, vehicles really add a whole new dynamic to the game, and your friends would likely have an easier time against you if they started using them.  Of course, then they'd have to start dealing with Vehicles, but they'll need to do that sooner or later, if they want to play the 'full' game of 40k anyways.

Well, that's my analysis and advice.  I hope you found it helpful, I'll be happy to give other lists a look at as well.  Your friends are welcome to email me with their lists and I'll see what I can do to help them.  :)