Wednesday, May 29, 2013

The Storm Raven Experiment at Bugeater GT Edit: Pictures up!

Well folks, it's about time for me to head on down to the 3rd Annual Bugeater GT in Omaha, Nebraska. I'll be taking my Grey Knights, though without allies of any kind. Despite the rumors I spread about taking IG as allies (I still think that my list is pretty good), I'll instead be taking something that makes my current list a little um, different, looking.

To be clear, I had already re-painted a few IG squads in anticipation of Bugeater - I wasn't lying about taking them.

Read on for info on the list I'll be taking, general Storm Raven thoughts, and an intriguing email that made me change my mind...


A few weeks ago I received the following email:

Hi Xaereth,

Love your site and especially the batreps. I recently got my hands on four really cheap storm ravens, and dont know what to do with them. I love your batreps, and if your going to the Bugeater GT, I had an idea. What if I gave you two storm ravens, and in return you did some really great batreps using them at the Bugeater, so I know if I should just resell the other two or use them with gks? I got them all for cheap enough i'll still make money off two.

-(Anon)

My Response (abridged):

Sure! Send 'em over!

...

So, now I own two Storm Ravens I hadn't owned before (and never really sought to own, if I'm being honest) and will be taking them to the Bugeater. Why? Because hey - free models :)

I've spent around 20 hours painting/gluing them to a standard I'm alright with, though they sadly don't look good enough to warrant 20 full hours. Mostly, 5 or 6 of those hours were spent gluing, which is the worst part of this hobby haha.

My only other picture of them, lol


Storm Raven Thoughts, real quick

I kind of like the Storm Raven at second glance. I'm taking the Grey Knight one of course, and kind of just overdoing it - Multi-melta, Assault Cannon, Hurricane Bolters, Psybolt Ammo, which puts out a pretty withering barrage of firepower. It's got:

12 TL S5 shots
4 TL S7 Rending shots
1 TL S8 Melta shot
4 S4 blasts that make every psyker clinch when they see them coming

I get all that plus free skyfire, transport capacity if I want it, and reserves shenanigans options, all for a somewhat disheartening 255 points.

However, the kind of firepower and mobility I'm getting makes the Storm Raven pretty similar to a GK Strike Squad in sheer damage output, for a similar price (Strike Squads I run are 250 points). The difference, of course, is that the Strike Squad won't usually all die in a single shot, and the Raven isn't scoring.

It's a trade-off, and as a result in this sudden change in plans, my own ability to score is going to be at an all-time low. Good thing the missions let me win other ways than just objective grabbing, haha.

They do kind of force me to have air superiority - not many air forces can withstand this army now, which is nice. I won't have to worry nearly as much about Helldrakes dominating me, and the Ravens will pretty reliably kill 2-3 Nightscythes/turn.

The real question is whether it's smart to have 2 models which comprise 1/3 of my forces in reserve, which can die to 2 shots if unlucky.

My 2013 Bugeater List, 1850 points:

Ordo Malleus Inquisitor w/ Terminator Armor, Psycannon, Psyker
Ordo Malleus Inquisitor w/ Terminator Armor, Psycannon, Psyker

10x Strike Marines w/ Daemonhammer, 2x Psycannons, Psybolt Ammo
10x Strike Marines w/ Daemonhammer, 2x Psycannons, Psybolt Ammo
6x Strike Marines w/ Daemonhammer, Psycannon

Nemesis Dreadknight w/ Heavy Incinerator
Nemesis Dreadknight w/ Heavy Incinerator
Nemesis Dreadknight w/ Heavy Incinerator

Storm Raven Gunship w/ TL Multi-Melta, TL Assault Cannon, 2x TL Hurricane Bolters, Psybolt Ammo
Storm Raven Gunship w/ TL Multi-Melta, TL Assault Cannon, 2x TL Hurricane Bolters, Psybolt Ammo

Man... gonna be a very small force. 33 total models is all I'll have. And here I thought that 45 was small :)

Still, it's going to be a great event, and I'm looking forward to it. Bugeater is always a highlight in my year, and I can't wait to meet new people and see people I already know. Come say hi to me! I'll be wearing my 'Let the Wookie Win' tournament shirt :)

See you on the other side, with a big old battle report showing off just how good (or terrible?) Storm Ravens are in the context of my list!

No comments: