Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Upcoming Events and What I've Been Up To (Fantasy, Warmachine, 40k, etc.)

Howdy, folks! Today I made a tough decision. As you well know, Warhammer 40k is my primary game, and I travel all around the place in order to get smacked around by my betters. It's a fun game (usually), though as you may or may not have noticed, I've become somewhat disillusioned by GW and their silly (i.e. atrocious) business practices, particularly in how they treat their customer. And, as you must also know, 7th edition has struck recently, only 2 years after the most recent edition.

As you may also have known, the Bugeater GT is coming up in a couple weekends. The new edition has not been around for a month yet, and as such, Tim has (wisely) chosen to stick with 6th edition. This has given me a lot of thinking to do on how exactly I want to experience the Bugeater.


I've always loved the Bugeater. As a cheap tournament relatively close to where I live, I love to go there and throw some dice. It's super laid back - the GT is held at a local Omahan (as of or pertaining to Omaha) high school as a fund raiser for the debate club there. We have attended all three years, and the fourth year was a foregone conclusion.

Here are my batreps for all three years:

Dark Eldar at Bugeater GT 2011
Grey Knights (pure) at Bugeater GT 2012

It's a really really fun event. It's not where I go to "prove" myself - bigger tournaments like Adepticon and the Nova are where I go to do that, but there are still a lot of great players who attend, and I get a lot of great games in!

Thing is, while 40k may be my main game, I'm apathetic as hell to play an edition that no longer exists. If I won, I would be the least relevant GT winner out there. Still, until today I was resolved to play my final 6 games of 6th edition there.

Today, my longtime buddy Aaron texted me and let me know that I still had his models that I had borrowed at Adepticon, and he needed them for a tournament this weekend. Those models just happened to be what made my army tick (7 Warp Spiders and 6 Swooping Hawks), and as such I sent them to him with the knowledge that my own chances of success at the Bugeater had taken a big hit. There was no way I was going to purchase $120 of models for a single tournament for a build that might suck immediately once I start playing 7th.

So, I made a tough decision, and decided to go with Fantasy.

I have about 1.5 weeks to get my 2500 point army finalized and finished. 

However, as luck would have it, I have ANOTHER event this coming weekend: a 2000 point Fantasy Tournament. It's just a local 3-game ordeal, likely to end in shame, but I'm looking forward to it! I've been painting up my Executioners and Warlocks for it:

(please excuse unprofessional phone-camera pictures)


Not as detailed as I wanted, but... meh.

This angle actually turned out kind of nice!

I kind of wish people would be able to see the cloaks better - probably the best feature of the unit. Too bad they would need to break in order to let an opponent see them :)


These new models are really great!

Pretty cool stuff, I should look into what their fluff is. I like their rules pretty well though :)

Did I mention I'm looking into commission painting? Let me know if you're interested - my email is somewhere on this blog!

So, as I've already been slaving away at getting my army ready for a tournament, may as well expand from 2000 points to um, 2500. Haha, yikes, lots still to do to get ready!

Funny thing is, despite my extreme lack of (recent) experience with 8th edition, I recently won a Fantasy local Fantasy tournament. 1500 points, pretty random.

I actually did reports for those, but forgot to let you all know about it. Thing is, they were on YouTube. I'm kind of monotone, but I intend to do most of my Fantasy reports on YouTube henceforth.

Here's a link to my first game, you can find the others from there if interested.

At any rate, after my experiences with the Black Guard (being awesome) in particular, I wanted another try with Black Guard. Here's the list I intend to take to the 2000 point event:

Supreme Sorceress (General)
-Level 4 Upgrade
-Sacrificial Dagger
-Tome of Preservation (4+ Ward)
-Ironcurse Icon
-Lore of Shadow

Master
-Battle Standard Bearer
-Dawnstone (re-roll failed Armor Saves)
-1+ armor save
-Halberd

Sorceress
-Tome of Furion
-Dark Steed
-Level 2 Upgrade
-Lore of Dark Magic

5x Dark Riders w/ Repeater Crossbows, Shields
5x Dark Riders w/ Repeater Crossbows, Shields
29x Dreadspears w/ Musician, Standard, Gleaming Standard

20x Black Guard w/ Musician, Standard, Razor Standard
20x Executioners w/ Musician, Standard, Flaming Standard, Draich Master (extra S6 attack, woo!)
Reaper Bolt Thrower
Reaper Bolt Thrower

5x Doomfire Warlocks

The Idea:

Sorceress goes with Warlocks and chooses what utility spell she wants with Tome of Furion. General goes with Dreadspears and sacrifices them one at a time for fun (and extra power dice!). BSB goes with either Black Guard or Executioners - haven't decided yet. Might be a game-to-game decision.

Black Guard + Executioners go 7-wide to maximize damage.

That's pretty much it. We'll see how it goes. I haven't played since that last tournament, haha!

Here's my initial 2500 List for Bugeater (it might change slightly - not sure what I'd do differently yet though):

Supreme Sorceress (General)
-Level 4 Upgrade
-Sacrificial Dagger
-Tome of Preservation (4+ Ward)
-Ironcurse Icon
-Lore of Shadow

Master
-Battle Standard Bearer
-Dawnstone (re-roll failed Armor Saves)
-1+ armor save
-Halberd

Sorceress
-Tome of Furion
-Dark Steed
-Level 2 Upgrade
-Lore of Dark Magic

5x Dark Riders w/ Repeater Crossbows, Shields
20x Corsairs w/ Extra Hand Weapon, Standard, Musician, Flaming Standard
27x Dreadspears w/ Musician, Standard, Gleaming Standard

20x Black Guard w/ Musician, Standard, Razor Standard
20x Executioners w/ Musician, Standard, +1 Move Standard, Draich Master (extra S6 attack, woo!)
Reaper Bolt Thrower
Reaper Bolt Thrower
Reaper Bolt Thrower
Reaper Bolt Thrower
Cold One Chariot
Cold One Chariot

5x Doomfire Warlocks

The Idea:

I put in 2 more Bolt Throwers (necessary to beat a lot of builds out there these days), added two Cold One Chariots in order to get painting/conversion points, and a unit of 20 Corsairs. I've always loved the models and have owned 30 since I bought the army. I've never painted them though, so I would finally get a chance to do so!

I want to use the two elite blocks (Black Guard and Executioners) to do the heavy lifting, grinding through opponent blocks at a ridiculous rate. However, the Corsairs can also help if I can get Okkam's Mind Razor off. ASF + S8 + 2 attacks base is nothing to scoff at.

Otherwise, I can choose to mess with opponent's leadership, WS, BS, I, S, and T with spells, and hurt them directly as well. I have a few reasonably strong chaff units in the Warlocks and Dark Riders, along with Chariots providing support where needed.

My aim is to create a balanced army that can take on most opponents and give me the chance to outplay them. I realize that this hope is slim, but I'm excited to try at least :)

Let's talk briefly about Warmachine

I've been having a lot of fun with Warmachine. In fact, the only reason I'm not 100% pumped to be playing Fantasy at Bugeater is that I'll need to delay painting my Warmachine models for another week in favor of getting ready for a GT.

However, I've been trying to decide what casters I want to focus on in a 3-caster masters-style tournament. Right now, the three making the cut are as follows:

1) Baldur2 (Tier 4 w/ Woldwrath)
2) Morvahna2 (Will Pagani's Woldwrath + Reeves list, with a few tweaks)
3) Mohsar (my own ridiculous concoction)

Mostly what I want to accomplish is having one list that does well against magic and shooting (Baldur2), one that does well against beast-heavy Hordes (Mohsar) and a reasonable take-all-comers army that can deal with feats that don't let me move (i.e. Kreoss, eHayley, Hayley, Denny, etc.), which is Morv2.

The strength of these lists is that they can back each other up. While it's good to have all the bases covered, I want to make sure that if I run into TWO infantry lists at a masters, I can still beat them after my "primary" list is already done. All can beat the other lists out there, just less easily.

HAHA, at least, that's the theory :)

Here are the lists:

Baldur2:

Baldur
-Megalith
-Woldwrath
-Wold Watcher
-Wold Watcher
-Wold Watcher

Druids of Orboros
Shifting Stones
-UA
Shifting Stones

The idea here is denial. The Watchers will be ARM24 every turn, and shield guarding everything while they punch the stuff that gets close. Megalith will help to cast spells, and Druids provide a nice anti-magic bubble. Wrath just shoots at stuff and causes mayhem when the big guys get too close. This drop will throw a lot of players off their game, trying to kill my 4-point Watchers who have 24 ARM and 24 boxes. Stones hang out and take Fury off my millions of beasts.

*note: I might end up taking this down a tier or two and get rid of the Druids in favor of something different. Love the idea of Woldwrath + Druids though. If they leave, I'll probably take a Blackclad + some Gallows Groves.

Morvahna2:

Morvahna
-Woldwrath
-Wold Watcher

Skinwalkers Max
-Alpha
Reeves of Orboros Max
Shifting Stones

War Wolf
War Wolf
War Wolf
Gallows Grove
Gallows Grove
Blackclad Wayfarer

The Idea here is to have lots of options, like a good resilient unit who can tear through infantry (Skinwalkers), an excellent ranged squad (Morv2 makes Reeves awesome because of rerolls), good assassination flexibility (War Wolves die, Morv2 feats and places them in the back arc of caster, Reeves shoot the caster and trigger sic 'em, being one element), and a guy who really just messes with the opponent in whatever way he chooses (Wrath kills what he punches, and can delay infantry by using his shooting attack.

*I'm playing with the idea of a min Reeves unit and dropping the Blackclad and a Gallows Grove or something in order to get a unit of Wolves of Orboros + UA in there as well. Seems like a good idea so far at least, though I'll have to learn to play quickly for tournament games.

Mohsar:

Mohsar
-Wold Warden
-Warpwolf Stalker
-Ghettorix
-Gorax

Tharn Bloodtrackers
-Nuala the Huntress
Shifting Stones
-Stone Keeper
Shifting Stones

Blackclad Wayfarer
Gallows Grove
Gallows Grove
Druid Wilder

The idea is to counter most Hordes lists with Mohsar's ridiculous feat + Sunhammer (hurting beasts/jacks d3 for moving closer to him), while still being able to hunt infantry well with Crevasse and his spray. Putting Mirage on the Bloodtrackers combined with Nuala's reform tactic gives them a ridiculous amount of mobility, and combined with Curse of Shadows get an effective +2 STR buff against what they're throwing at. He has so many great spells that the Warden will be an excellent utility piece, though it is unfortunate that I can't have Megalith in two lists :-p

*One idea I've had is to remove the Gorax and Wilder in favor of some Tharn Bloodweavers. They're weapon masters against living models, and Curse of Shadows + Mirage are both excellent spells with them. Since Ghetto and the Stalker both already hit quite hard (Curse of Shadows, again), they don't necessarily need the Gorax, and with the Bloodweavers present to charge and remove upkeeps, lots of Jacks will have a tough time surviving against what I throw at them.

Another option of course is to remove some stones and the Blackclad, or get the Gator Witch Doc to hand out tough. We'll just have to see what happens - lots of fun stuff I can use with this list :)

One more event is in a few weeks time - after the grow league is completed, we will have a 35-point 1-caster-only Warmachine tournament! I'm excited, and as of right now, my aim is to get Baldur2 ready for it.

Whew, that was quite the post! If you've made it this far, congratulations! Let me know if you have thoughts about anything related to this post, or just thoughts about anything else for that matter!

See you guys later!

No comments: