Thursday, October 8, 2009

Upcoming Tournament

This weekend there will be a 2000 point tournament that I'll be attending at 'Valhallas Game' or some such in Denver, CO. I was originally planning on taking my Chaos Marines list w/ lots of berzerkers, but I decided that instead of taking them and *hoping* that my one squad of 5 plague marines get a good melta shot off at enemy land raiders, that I'd rather take my Swords of the Prophet- that is... my Blood Angels.

I recently went to BoLS Con with my Blood Angels, and ended up getting 7th overall. It's a pretty straightforward rhino rush list. Every game was a pretty tricky one to play, and I only ended up straight up losing my very last game, to Orks. Sort of sad, since I essentially had him tabled, but I suppose thats how it goes. His Gretchin held 4 objectives!! Jeeze...

Anyways, here's the list I DID take to BoLS Con:


HQ: (300 total points)

Dante (200)

Brother Corbulo (100)
 
TROOPS: (650 total points)

Tactical Squad (285)
Tactical Squad- 115
5 additional marines- 75
Melta Gun- 10
Missile Launcher- 10
Power Fist- 25
Rhino- 35
Extra Armor- 15

Tactical Squad (185)
Tactical Squad- 115
Melta Gun- 10
Power Fist- 25
Rhino- 35

Assault Squad (180)
Assault Squad- 140
Power Fist- 25
No Jump Packs
Free Rhino- 0
Extra Armor- 15

ELITES: (800 total points)

Death Company (130)

8 death company (5 'free')- 90
8 Jump Packs- 40
Veteran Squad (335)
8 Veterans- 225
2 Melta Guns- 20
3 Power Fists- 75
No Jump Packs
Free Rhino- 0
Extra Armor- 15

Veteran Squad (325)
7 Veterans- 200
2 Melta Guns- 20
3 Dual Lightning Claws- 90
No Jump Packs
Free Rhino- 0
Extra Armor- 15

FAST ATTACK: (250 total points)
Attack Bike Squad (150)
3 Attack Bikes w/ Multi-meltas- 150

Attack Bike Squad (50)
1 Attack Bike w/ Multi-melta- 50

Attack Bike Squad (50)
1 Attack Bike w/ Multi-melta- 50

As you can see, lots and lots of melta, and lots of rhino rush. The veterans hit pretty hard in combat, though the regular troops also do a fair amount of damage as well. One turn during BoLS Con, a regular 5-man tactical squad shot a battle wagon, killed it, assaulted the 20 shoota boyz inside, and killed them all, losing only 2 guys. Pretty potent, if you ask me. Dante and Corbulo make my army monsters.

Anyways, after giving my veterans a lot of use, I've come to the conclusion that the power fist veterans aren't actually very good. Sure, they get a lot of high strength attacks if they actually get their attacks, but they never really had the opportunity to hurt anything. And, usually I still had to allocate wounds onto them, killing them prematurely. So, I've decided to go an alternate route: no fist veterans.

Instead, I'm going to blow the dust off of two Baal Predators (with Heavy Bolters), add a few veterans to my Claw Veterans, and bolster my Death Company. There's a few reasons I want to do this:

  • Fist Veterans are only really good in theory. They never did much the entire tournament besides melta an occational rhino, or help mop up in a combat that I'd already won. The few times I thought they would actually help killing unkillable stuff, they epic failed, getting mowed down by nobs before they could actually do anything.
  • Baal Predators will add a lot of (I think) needed depth to my army. They actually put the hurt on a lot of troops squads, and have the ability to pop transports as well.
  • Baal Predators will also force a lot of high strength shots in their direction before getting killed. If my opponent ignores them, they'll take their points worth. I've had a lot of experience with Baals in the past, and they tend to do well in the game.
  • I'm a little bored with the way my army plays right now. It usually goes this way: move everything up, turbo-boosing bikes. Pop smoke. Next turn, move up again, alternating rhinos so that the front ones can pop smoke and protect the others behind them. Try to pop transports w/ Melta bikes. Next turn, I'm hopefully in charge range, and I kill everything (or try anyways). Rinse. Repeat. There is very little about my army that allows for tactical diversity. Sure, it's a good list, and it requires (I think) a lot of skill to play it, but it can get boring.

And so, I'm going to take the Predators. I'm not sure if it'll make my list more competitive, but I'm tired of having no ability to shoot anything. Half of my game is boring, praying to the dice gods for 3's then 4's with my melta bikes. This will at least give me something to insta-death heavy weapons squads.

I suppose time will tell.

No comments: