Thursday, October 28, 2010

Wolves- getting away from the Wolfstar

Here's a list I wrote up a few days ago for wolves, getting away from the whole 'if my Wolfstar runs off the board, I'm most likely screwed' thing:


For reference:
This is a link to a post where my Wolfstar list is

Here it goes:

Rune Priest w/ Living Lightning, Jaws
Rune Priest w/ Living Lightning, Murderous Hurricaine
Rune Priest w/ Living Lightning, Storm Caller

8x Grey Hunters w/ Melta, Wolf Standard, Rhino (Rune Priest/Wolf Guard go here)
8x Grey Hunters w/ Melta, Wolf Standard, Rhino (Rune Priest/Wolf Guard go here)

7x Grey Hunters w/ Melta, Wolf Standard, Rhino (Rune Priest/Wolf Guard go here)

5x Grey Hunters w/ Melta, Lasplas Razor (Wolf Guard goes here)
5x Grey Hunters w/ Melta, Lasplas Razor (Wolf Guard goes here)



5x Wolf Scouts w/ Melta (Wolf Guard goes here)

5x Wolf Scouts w/ Melta (Wolf Guard goes here)

7x Wolf Guard w/ 7x Combi-melta, 5x Power Fists

5x Longfangs w/ 4x Missile Launchers w/ Lasplas Razor
5x Longfangs w/ 4x Missile Launchers

1850ish points (little lower)

Lots of good combat ability, lots of melta, lots of shooty before they get to me.

For the next 150 points (for 2000 total) I can add more longfangs, or another Grey Hunter squad w/ Razor.

Another idea for them is to just take another Lasplas Razor for the fangs, and add a few fists, as well as choosers for the Rune Priests, maybe another missile launcher or two.  Lots of good options, and it's somewhat of a spammy list, but I can't imagine a whole lot of lists that could deal with it. 

It's my variation of razorspam- and I think it's got the potential to be quite a bit better than 'traditional' razorspam, to be honest.  Maybe a little less long-range shooting, but lots more combat ability and tactical flexibility to make up for that.

Let me know what you think!

3 comments:

Chumbalaya said...

I like. You don't have as many hulls, but plenty of dakka and good CC to back it up.

If I was going the mechspam route, I'd probably have TWC or Iron Priests lurking behind the transports to give me some fun punchy power.

Gazzy said...

I loved your wolfstar list, but I don't blame you for wanting to get away from it.

The main problem's I have with this list is its too spammy (which you already know) and you really, REALLY lack any ranged fire. You got away with that with wolfstar as they could take all the heat off your other units but I think you'll really struggle against a dedicated DakkaDakka army with this list.

What I'm trying to say, in a very long winded way, is that you really need all 3 long fang units still.

Ga.

Xaereth said...

Gszzy: Heh, thanks for the input :)

I agree with you that I need to keep the max(ish) longfangs. All the lists I've written after this one have reflected this, though of course this list doesn't really show that.

Also, it's slightly hidden, but the Rune Priests also have some reasonable ranged firepower on the go. Living lightning gives me D6 autocannon shots every turn, and my rune priests each have this power. This averages out to be 10.5 S7 shots every turn, and my new lists have chooser of the slain on each of them, so about 9 of them will actually hit. So, it's not entirely hopeless with ranged attacks.

Not perfect when facing a gunline either, but that's what the wolf scouts are for :)