Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Depression Sets In #2: Final List Nearly Set for LVO

My progress on the Eldar contingent thus far!
Howdy, folks! Just a quick one today with my nearly-completed list for LVO. I've been pretty busy lately, with an addition to my family in the form of my first son, Perrin. We're pretty happy, but have our hands full with a baby - a situation we've never really had to deal with before!

At any rate, I have been dithering over the details of my list for a while now, and have decided that with the LVO in literally less than 20 days, I needed to actually order models. So, this is what I came up with. I like to think of it as a "One of Everything" list. You'll see why.





1750 Points: Eldar Primary, Dark Eldar Allies

Eldar (Primary):

Farseer w/ Jetbike, Spirit Stones, Warlord (probably hangs out with Guardians)
Farseer w/ Jetbike, Shard of Anaris (probably goes with Beasts)

20x Guardians w/ 2x Bright Lances // Wave Serpent w/ TL Scatter Lasers
5x Dire Avengers // Wave Serpent w/ TL Scatter Lasers
3x Jetbikes
3x Jetbikes

7x Warp Spiders

Wraithknight (stock)

Dark Eldar (Allies):


Baron Sathonyx

10x Warriors w/ Splinter Cannon, Sybarite

Beast Pack w/ 5x Masters, 9x Khymerae, 6x Razorwings



Have to trim the fat!
Notes:

  • Farseers generally try to get Fortune until they get it, then start rolling for Forewarning.
  • StoneSeer generally goes with Guardians for leadership purposes, and just stays within 24" of BeastStar if he gets Fortune/Forewarning. He'll be harder to reach than the ShardSeer, and that's why I made him Warlord. Also, with a Bike, he can leave the unit at the end of the game and go 48" to contest an objective on the other side of the table.
  • ShardSeer and Baron stay with BeastStar for Hit & Run + Fearless. Beasts are good at killing/tying up whatever they come in contact with, and that unit is huge! 22 models total, most of whom are on 40mm bases! With Fortune up, the BeastStar won't die easily, and will likely cause most of my opponents spend at least 2 rounds of shooting/assault to deal with. Even more likely, the unit just won't die the whole game, and can contest objectives all over the board due to their crazy mobility.
  • Warp Spiders are there because I'll invariably have Guide, and they're pretty good at shooting things once they're guided. They can contest objectives, kill scoring units, deepstrike when I need it, and just generally be annoying. They're also pretty survivable, and give me a Scouring unit as well. If they die, they're cheap, and mostly expendable. Love their flexibility though - they can even kill tanks!
    • With Guide and Doom, Spiders will actually on average kill even something a tough as an Annihilation Barge or Predator with a single volley of fire!
  • Wraithknight has been a huge question mark for me. While I love the extra S10 shots, most armies will really just destroy the Knight in a single volley from one of their units (i.e. Skyrays, Grav Spam, Poison Spam, Eldar Wraith Spam, etc.) but I've come to see that as an advantage of sorts. While the Knight will invariably die a terrible death in many of its games, it will oftentimes expose the enemy's best units. For example:
    • Opponent wants/needs to kill my Wraithknight with Grav Centurions in a Land Raider. I in turn need to kill/tie up his Centurions early in the game while I still have units available. As such, I can position my Wraithknight about 35" from his Land Raider on Turn 1.
      • My boy, Perrin :)
      • Opponent will then move his Centurions up then requisite 12" and disembark, shooting up the Wraithknight, and in prime position for my BeastStar to charge in and beat them up Turn 1, or even just use the Guardians to shoot their 12" pseudo-rending guns immediately.
  • Wave Serpents are (obviously) nice to have - shooting scoring units off of objectives and ignoring cover is always good. Really, if you don't understand why Wave Serpents are awesome, go read their rules. Just extremely helpful toolbox units.
  • 10x Warriors are an interesting choice, and I decided on them because a) I needed a Troop choice from Dark Eldar and b) I wanted a 2nd unit of Guardians, but was afraid of their Ld. 8. 
    • Instead, Warriors can help with lots of things such as grounding checks, Wraithknights, and just general anti-troop, while being a low-priority troop model. They also get Ld. 9 with the Sybarite.
  • Guardians are pretty good - they take a lot of shooting to fully eradicate, and will cause some stupid amounts of damage with their pseudo-rending, and the likelihood that I will get Doom in a game is also pretty good, and I will almost always get Guide/Prescience. 
    • Synergy w/ likely psy powers FTW
  • Dire Avengers and Jetbikes are good because they're tough-to-kill troops which are pretty mobile. Again, somewhat obvious picks, especially when you take into consideration that I really wanted two Wave Serpents and couldn't get them if I didn't take the Dires.

Does this picture make it worth having gotten through it all? I actually thought it was funny. 

Anyhow, the list can still change at least a little bit! Let me know your thoughts! LVO is in less than 3 weeks, going to be crazy!!

No comments: